Saturday, September 24, 2022

Never to late to Dream.

 When I was 13-years-old I built my first (Dream) tree house by myself. It was messy, not pretty and very unstable.  But I loved it.  I was the imaginative sort of child that liked to play pretend and make imagination a reality.  Three days before my family took the biggest vacation ever to Disneyland, I fell out of that tree house and landed on an old water pump in the backyard, busting it off from its metal pipe while taking a bit of flesh off my backside just in time for the family trip. OUCH!


I'm the tall kid in the middle leaning precariously on one side to avoid the agony of sitting on my injured bottom.  Photographic proof that I could dream and work on building those dream, even if it meant falling and getting hurt.  
I love Dreaming.  This week I took a huge step toward another Dream I've had.  For the past 14 months I've been creating leather armor with my son and partnering with all my family to create a family business.  After being a constant visitor to Fan X (Comic Con), this week we became a vendor. Here is our "GEEK Together Booth" at Fan X 2022 Salt Lake City.



The three amazing people you see are my three sons, Abner, T-rev and Evoman.


I'm the tired, exhausted happy lump on the floor.



Here are some of my handcrafted leather armor.  Shoulder pauldrons, bracers, baldrics and grieves, sword frogs, wand holders, belt pouches and more.

This week in my college class I had two great takeaways.  I watched an incredible video about Randy Pausch's called The Last Lecture.   In it he talked about brick walls we run into in our lives.  What stuck out to me was when he said, "The brick walls are not to keep us out.  The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are to stop the people who don't want it badly enough."

I want to dream so badly that I am pulling 60-80 hour weeks with college and work combined.  I'm that happy exhausted lady who is giving it her all.

My other takeaway from this weeks lesson was from 'Stars and Steppingstones' by Jeff Sandefer.
He said, "The ultimate horror is not death.  The ultimate horror is to wake up at age fifty-five or sixty and realize that you have wasted your life, either that time has slipped past while your dreams waited, or that you never had any dreams at all... At fifty five or sixty often it is too late to start over.  There are not enough hours in the day, or days in the year.  Starts and steppingstones are a way to avoid the horror of a meaningless life."

To which I thought.  CODSWALLOP and BALDERDASH.  It is absolutely not too late for me to start living a new dream.  My life has not been meaningless because I chose to focus on my raising my kids instead of pursuing an entrepreneurial dream while they were younger.  I wouldn't have had the time in my day to do that and be an attentive mom.  I have time now and I am pursing my imaginative dreams.  And even better I'm doing it with my kids and having an exhausted blast.  

If my 13-year-old self could see me now, I think she would be happy that I'm building new Dreams and taking my time to build them all the while learning from my mistakes and failures of the past.  Dream on Fawn.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So proud of you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Awesome 👍

Anonymous said...

Love this post ...gives me hope