Thursday, September 29, 2022

Ethical Guardrails (Guideposts)

Nine years ago one of my boys decided that he could drive our family vehicle faster than road conditions allowed.  He ended up spinning out of control, crossed the lane of traffic once and hit the guardrail.


 Then he spun around again, tagged the guardrail with the other end of the vehicle.


Finally the vehicle crossed back over both lanes of traffic to end up backward in a ditch.  Goodbye family vehicle.  Fortunately our son escaped unhurt.  It was then I noticed the miracle.  The Guardrail was our miracle.  On the other side of it was the Snoqualamie River.  Had those guardrails not been there he would have ended up in the river two different times and the outcome could have been tragic.  Nearly 30 feet of guardrail was destroyed by our vehicle but they did their job.




This week in my entrepreneurial class we learned about ethics.  In 'Making a Living and a Life' by Elder Lynn G. Robbins he gave grades for levels of acquiring wealth.  A-Level grades are given to people whose primary motivation is lifting others or love of God and fellow man and the secondary motivation is earning money.  B-Level is where the motivations are flipped.  C-Level is the love of money is the primary motivation and the secondary motivation is an indifference to clients and customers.  Then there is Level D where there is no regard at all for distress and harm to customers.  

We also discussed how our core values and spirituality correspond so closely with how we practice our professions.  We need to be congruent in both our personal, spiritual, and professional lives.  Hence the scripture 'No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other.  Ye cannot serve God and mammon.' Matthew 6:24

I'd like to think of sticking to those core values as my guardrails, my guideposts.  This week was our first test of those values.  In signing the lease for our new store we wanted to put into writing that we wouldn't be open on Sunday.  The owners of the property felt it was important to be open on Sunday.  In fact they own the one and only mall in Utah that is open on Sunday.  Of the two malls in Utah County it is the mall that is doing so much poorer.  Less patrons, stores etc.  Coincidence?  They are affordable and have space for us which is why we choose to pursue this lease.  Needless to say, if we do take that location and refuse to open on Sunday then we will be charged an extra $500 a month.  So staying true to our keeping the Sabbath Day Holy is going to cost us an additional $500 a month.  Is it worth it?  Absolutely.  I really want all the blessings I can get and living an ethical life and business is worth the price.  

One of my other challenges in business is rationalization.  I think to myself, 'Well, if they aren't playing fair(competitors), then neither will I."  It's tempting to not stick to my word when someone else who has promised you something doesn't stick to theirs.  But I realize that the only person I hurt is myself when I break my word.  We've been hurt by the decisions of other when it comes to business and our opinion of them drops.  However, we've been blessed beyond measure by others in our business who openly collaborate with us and keep their word.  I want to be a blessing to others as well.  I feel there is family of merchants whose policy is 'lets help lift each other.'  We lift each other at the same time.

Here are my business Guardrails.

I will never stoop to a lower level even when dealing with someone else who does.

I will never work on Sundays.

I will never put business above my family.

I will always strive to be honest in my dealings with my fellowman.

I will always look for ways to innovate and make the process of business faster without compromising quality or I'll always try to be a lifelong learner.

I will always try to be a team player and build up those around me.

By doing this I feel I will be able to protect myself and my family business from tragic mistakes.







No comments: