Thursday, October 28, 2010

Nightmare Room - No More.

Done! 

Well Mostly.

One of our favorite places for my husband and myself to visit is the Beautiful San Juan Islands in Washington.  We keep talking about how much we’d love to retire there and soak in the beauty all around.

Print 131

So the logical choice was to decorate our Master Bedroom as if we were on retreat at our favorite place.

Ms. Passion and I were nearly jumping out of our skins as we put some finishing touches on the room today.  So without further ado…

The Nightmare (Hoarding) Room Before…

Summer 533

And After…

Summer 1159

Are you shocked???  I’m still in awe that this is my home.  Gone is the sheet covering the window, the blah beige, the overwhelming feeling of OVERWHELMINGNESS!

Another nightmare view…

Summer 535

to This…

Summer 1166

Yes, I know some rules were broken… Where’s the dresser’s & typical Bedroom furniture?  We instead put up a section of the bookshelves that used to be in the family room.  This way we can save some of our favorite books, and have a room to go to get away from the house.  A place to treasure some of our treasures, and remember some of our amazing adventures to the islands.

Print 1

A place to read and relax, among other things.

And because I’m digging this so much here’s yet another view…

Summer 537

Simply Beautiful.  

Summer 1171

And while the room is mostly done, there are still some things that need touching up, like finishing the painting of the door trim.

Summer 1172

I’m also keeping my eye out for some comfy chairs to replace the ones by the window.

Here’s the best part.  We are surrounded with items we love.  Things that mean something.

Summer 1134

Whether it’s pictures we’ve taken while visiting our favorite place…

Summer 1115

Or decorating with left-over material that I used to reupholster my husbands boat.   I had a lot of sewing homework.  Never sewed a bed skirt or valance before.  Tried to keep them tailored looking though.

reupholstered boat

We had to keep the cost to a bare minimum.  But using the left over boat fabric made the room even more special for my Prince.  He loved that boat.  Someday we’ll get another one, but until then he can go relax in our room.

Not only did we tackle the Master Bedroom but we also nailed down the closet and Bathroom.

And the old (child-scribbled-on) dresser/wardrobe…

Summer 535

Well, my boys did a bang-up job of painting it.

Summer 1079

It’s new place is in our closet.

Summer 1168

The Before…

 Summer 539

I counted 44 boxes of memorabilia, pictures, Christmas ornaments, baby clothes etc.  44 boxes.

Summer 540

From foor to ceiling.

Summer 541

Now for the after.

Summer 1123

Notice the top shelf is totally empty.  I’m still dumbfounded.  Gone are around 6 bags of clothes. 

Some Christmas ornaments remain.  Not a lot.

Summer 1153

The boxes of memorabilia have found a new temporary home.  We plan on going through them when the house is done and scanning the pictures, tossing the extra’s.  It will take a long time.  So that will be future homework.
And the bathroom.  Here’s a peek.   I’ll show you the before and after pic’s next time.

Summer 1167

Ms. Passion is amazing and with every step we take I’m feeling more hopeful and more empowered that I’ll be able to finally conquer the clutter (hoarding) demon once and for all.

The cost.  Although we kept it to a bare minimum and used as much as we could from around the house, the little details can still add up.
$124  for Paint  (Much of it can be used in other rooms which will make the other room’s re-do a lot cheaper than this one.
$117 for hardware (new dresser knobs, towel racks, hinges, electrical pipe for hanging curtains, curtain grommets, etc.
$77 bedding and towels for bathroom.
$35 thrifted items for decorations and material for backing the curtain and valance & pillows  (love thrifting sheets.)
$169 (I THINK) for totally replacing our broken French doors that lead into the bedroom.  This was something that Prince Erik tackled on the side.
$69 for Pictures and Frames

Total: $591
It was more than we were planning on spending, a lot more.  However, had we put the same room together with new furniture, well, the cost would have been in the thousands.  We used the furniture we had and took as much as we could from my fabric stash.  It was also our most distressed and neglected room (outside of the kitchen). And the cost covered Bedroom, Bathroom and Closet.  So three area’s.  The Bonus is that there is enough left over paint we can probably tackle the other upstairs bathroom for pennies.

So there you have it.  I’m still unbelievably motivated to keep going full steam ahead.  With the transformations we’ve seen so far, our home will be amazing when finished.  Even though the work is incredibly hard and time consuming – it’s so worth it.

I have a feeling that I’m going to be spending a lot of quiet time in my room from now on. 

As for the kids, they’re bouncing up and down, in anticipation of when their rooms will get transformed.

Many thanks for the feature from...



Linking up some DIY Love...

43 comments:

Susanne said...

*Picking jaw up off the floor!* It looks amazing!!!!! Like straight out of one of those TLC makeover shows! So excited for you guys! How wonderful to have a sanctuary for the two of you to enjoy.

Teresa said...

Looks fabulous- you are a real inspiration!!!

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

Amazing job, congratulations and how wonderful for you and your sweet husband. The Olde Bagg

The Trio said...

I am so proud of you! I pray that your joy and hard work keeps on going....WOW! Can't wait to see it next year.

Mrs. Darling said...

It looks lovely! I love the blue nautical feel of it. Are you working with a designer or is this lady that is helping you declutter...is she helping to figure out the finished product too? Im curious as to what sorts of help are in place to keep you from going back to the "clutterer". It's sorta like weight loss; the losing is easy when compared to keeping it off. What is your plan of action for keeping things cleaned up?

elizajane said...

What an amazing room!!! It looks fabulous! I'm sure you are having a great time enjoying your "sanctuary". Keep up the good work!!

Jonathan and Cheri said...

This looks AMAZING! It must feel SO incredible - I'd spend all my time in there if I were you =) Love seeing the befores and afters! A true retreat - and you deserve it!!! Great job on the painting and on the sewing - you're a rock star.

Anonymous said...

It looks fabulous and you, my dear, are simply amazing!
Christi

nikib4kids said...

Wow! That is AMAZING!! I love those stripes on the wall! You and your family are doing such a fabulous job! Keep it up! I can't wait to see the rest of the house!

Sara said...

Amazing! Gorgeous! I love that you used the boat fabric, and I like the little "sails" on the bedskirt. Very nice. KUTGW.

Emily said...

awesome, fawn, just awesome! your joy and determination are contagious (not to mention those mad decorating skillz!) rock on.

Stephanie said...

Amazing! I am so proud of you!

Trena Doll said...

Gorgeous!

Richins Family said...

It is beautiful Fawn! Way to go. Pass on the High Five to the rest of the crew. It was nice to hear what your inspiration for your room was. I am sure you will have many wonderul memories in your new room. I love the view out the window too. What pretty colors. Your hard work is paying off. Love you sis.

Karen said...

Over the top the wonderful! Happy for you am I! :)

Katy Cameron said...

Oh wow, that is absolutely stunning! Well done you!

Anonymous said...

I have no words for what you've accomplished Fawn. Well, one: Beautiful! Congratulations!-"Jewels"

rosemary said...

I am so proud of you. I do not know you "in person", but I always read your blog. I am just so happy for you and your's.
Rosemary

Natalie said...

Good job Fawndear! WOW! it looks amazing! I'm so proud of you!!!!

Nancy said...

Wow Fawn, it looks awesome! Erik was telling us about it tonight--so glad I came and looked! I'm sure that was a TON of work, but I'm so impressed! I will need some help when you're all done!

Natalie said...

Fawn your room looks amazing! It is absolutely beautiful. Do you want to come help me decorate mine?

McBrides said...

It looks wonderful and I love your inspiration!

RavenM said...

Amazing, amazing! It looks so wonderful:) Great job everyone!

Anonymous said...

It doesn't look like the same room. What a change some people can make in our lives. May it's beauty inspire you and help you as you make this change. Mom-ah

Arrow said...

I'll just ditto the previous remarks. It looks great!

Anonymous said...

Holy macaroni! That is a BEAUTIFUL makeover! You must just lay there and simply swoon with joy.

GO Gray's said...

Fawn I know I've said this before. . . . BUT you are so awesome. It looks gorgeous!!!!

Beth said...

Wow! Just...Wow! You are amazing Fawn! I am completely blown away. You give me hope!
xo
Beth

Kimberly King said...

Love, love, LOVE it, Fawn!!!!!!!!!!! Way to go on such an enormous accomplishment---a gorgeous one at that! Good luck with the rest! I look forward to seeing more pictures!

~Mama Cayman ;) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
~Mama Cayman ;) said...

FawnDear,
You never cease to amaze and inspire me! What a beautiful, relaxing sanctuary you have created for you and your Prince! How delightful to enjoy that space and relish the fruits of your labor!
By the way, I have just re-read your various posts about hoarding/organizing/de-cluttering & DREAMS as inspiration to attack The Room Of Shame (aka our home office), again, and, this time, for the last time!
You are, as ever, as inspiring to me in this journey of de-cluttering, as you are inspired!
Thank you, FawnDear!

candyn said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! This is SO inspiring. Thank you for sharing your journey. I know it must be hard. But it is so amazing, and like I said. Inspiring. Keep up the incredible work!

Jane said...

Wow! This is SO inspiring. I absolutely love it. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Wow..I've haven't been by to visit for a while..looks like I picked a good time! Great job the two of you did on this room..it looks awesome! Love the whole nautical feel of it..a room that would be right at home up here in Vancouver...:)

Lynette

Shannon Henrici said...

I agree with all of your commenters, YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION! My bedroom looks just like yours and especially like your closet - before the rennovations :) I would love to talk with your about a paid writing opportunity! Your work needs to be out there for more to see. You have some great ideas to share. Contact me at shannon@mybabyclothesboutique.com. I couldn't find your contact info. Sorry I had to leave this message in your comments, but I had to contact you. I love your sites - Mommy Blessing and this one!

Unknown said...

What a gorgeous transformation!! And I love your inspiration... such a personal way to remember your vacation. Great job.

the cape on the corner said...

how special that you were able to use the same material as the boat. love that you used that corner shelving unit since you seem to have the space. what a great transformation!

Kitchen Design Ideas said...

this is nothing short of amazing! DIY project work at its best.

paige renee said...

Wow! The room looks amazing! I love the striped wall, the pictures you've hung, the painted dresser, the sneak peak at the bathroom - everything!!! :)

Rachael@Lovely Crafty Home said...

What an amazing transformation!! I have a room like that...shhhh don't tell!! I'd love to see you on my weekend linky party :)

Melanie Bacom said...

I am in denial. I am a closet hoarder. Our bedroom looks like yours. You have inspired me.

Daisy Head Maisy said...

I am a new follower and I am astonished! I love it! You have done a phenomenal job!!! I am a semi pack rat, not quite a hoarder but my brother claims this is how it starts. I buy to sell on ebay and am buying the house I live in. It is old and was never well taken care of but we have been doing massive transformations and this is truly an inspiration! I love the bedroom and the skirt you made for the bed is awesome. My oldest son would love it. Did you get the idea from a site or a pattern?
Good job and keep up the work! It is hard to undo what has been done but is a blessing to see the end results!

Patsy said...

The transformation is remarkable. Wonderful job. I hope you donated or threw away all the stuff that was junked up in that room. This new room should absolutely break your urge to "save" things that shouldn't be. Great job.