Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Have Broom, Will Travel

Is the slogan of my newest Tee-shirt. And my kids wholeheartedly agree that it suits me to a Capital T.   I only wear it on house cleaning days.

Today was one of those days.  The weatherman said that Fall was finally going to arrive this week in the form of cold weather, abundant rain, and frisky wind - so that meant one last sweep of the garden of weeds to see what I could harvest.  It was a little scary.

Fall 149

Yet, with Hope’s eagle eye (I guess it helps to be closer to the ground), we were able to pull in a nice last haul.

Fall 150

Yikes, now I’ve got to plan a couple of days just to process all of this food for storage.

Will someone tell me why I planted beets?  I don’t even know how to cook them.  I guess it will just have to be another Fawn first moment in the making.

Now for the update on my Holiday List.  See I remember that I was supposed to make a list and read it.  And I deserve a gold star for actually completing most of that list.  I’m still digging up a couple of addresses on my Christmas mailing list and there are still some Halloween decorations I need to finish making.

The kids and I had a hoot making several super-fun crafts:  Including  some Potions Labels for an odd collection of different shaped bottles.  You can check out my Mommy Blessings Blog to see how we made them.

Fall 127

I’ve also been working on repurposing some vintage looking books into something enchanted.  

Fall 069

Shhhh, don’t tell hard core book lover’s that I’m cutting up books, or they might not let me in the second hand bookstore any more.

 Fall 125

From the ’Joy of Words’ to ‘The Joy of Wands’.  And I’m turning the old fall-aparts into Magical Books that hold secret compartments, fairy quotes, and magical goodies.

Can’t wait to show you how I made them.  Of course I’ll post the instructions on Mommy Blessings when I finish.

So, as you can see, I haven’t finished decorating for Halloween so that’s back on my list for week 2 as well.

What’s up with my Holiday Countdown.  Well here’s Week 2:

1.  Um – Complete Halloween Decorating – Still.

2.  Sew at least 1 Halloween Costume.

3.  Cut out patterns for some Christmas Presents

4.  Design a Christmas Card.

and that’s in addition to preserving all those goodies from the garden,  and keeping my sanity in check.

On a side note:  The blessing keep coming.  My good friend Ethel stopped by and helped me clean up my sticky floor today - Just because she had nothing better to do than earn saint points from on high.  Maybe she was just disgusted that you couldn’t walk through the house without something gummy glued to your shoes or socks – or maybe, just maybe, she might be an angel in disguise.  I’m leaning towards the notion that she’s an angel.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Beets are so good! Very easy just put a little water in a pan and add your beets with steams removed....just bake them for 30 -40 min i think, then you can just cut them up and add to salads, yum! enjoy!

laterg8r said...

love that you had an angel come and visit.

those potion bottles are darling :D

Anonymous said...

I am SO impressed with how industrious you are! Way to work it. I love my beets roasted. Yum.

Unknown said...

That sounds like cheerful housekeeping!

Arrow said...

It looks like you have plenty of carrots. As for the beets, I like them pressure cooked like a potato, but be careful when you release the steam, after a while it might color that part of your ceiling red, and if you eat enough tell your kids not to be alarmed when they go to the bathroom and the toilet water turns red!

Natalie said...

I LOVE the Harry Potter series! But do you know how to make gold potions? I want to make a Felix Felicis, and all the rest and through a Harry Potter Party!!!! Yay!