Sunday, July 4, 2010

A Different Kind of Fourth

When I first heard that the Fourth of July was on Sunday this year, I have to admit, at first I was a bit down.  Our family loves the parades, fireworks, picnics and everything associated with this holiday.  However, it being a Sunday and the only local parade being around the same time as our Sunday services we had a choice to make.  Which to go to?  It wasn’t a hard choice at all. 

We went to Church and I’ve been in gratitude all day for the blessing of living in such a great country.  A place Founded by Men of Faith, upon principles of honor and integrity. 

The Prayer at Valley Forge

The artist responsible for this painting of George Washington at Valley Forge passed away this last week.  Arnold Friberg was a National Treasure.  His talent will be missed.

Yes, we’re still having Watermelon, corn-on-the-cob and many other yummy treats.  And I’m sure we’ll watch fireworks from our back deck this evening.  But I’m grateful for the chance to have a more simple, peaceful, and prayerful 4th of July.  So grateful to my Heavenly Father for the Freedom’s I’m granted by living here.

5 comments:

Arrow said...

We were saddened by the death of Arnold Friberg. He produced some amazing paintings. As for the holiday falling on the Sabbath, we too have enjoyed a quiet, more reflective Independence day this year.

Sara said...

A blessed Independence Day to your family!

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Blessings and abundance to you.

Natalie said...

I wasn't too happy when I found out that the fourth was on Sunday, either. My family wiggled around that and had a mini-fireworks show on Saturday. Sparklers were fun, but sadly we had no Screamers... :)

The Trio said...

One of the benefits of living in Utah....they work the holiday traditions (parades or fireworks, etc) around if it falls on the Sabbath. It made the weekend fun but also time for reflections of what is truly important. Fireworks Saturday, reflection and talks Sunday, and parade on Monday...wonderful to spread it all out. Wish you had been here.