Sunday, November 4, 2007

What a little sleep will do.

I'm one of those people who don't like change. My body has an internal clock and I knew I would be waking up at the same time this morning as I did yesterday morning, regardless of the time change. I was right. Wide awake at 4:45 a.m. isn't the funnest thing. I didn't stay in bed too long, maybe a half hour max. I figured that maybe we could actually leave for church on time today if I did a little kid stuff prepping.
Being late, even by 30 seconds, is one of my biggest pet peeves. Well we left about the same time we always do. I shoot to be in the car by 8 a.m., which means we usually leave by 8:20. Yes with six kids it happens. Even when you remind them of the time every 10-15 minutes all morning long. Evo-man misplace the socks I gave him, Lea forgot her activity pad, I misplaced the keys and like clockwork the baby decided to fill her diaper right after her coat when on. Those extra twenty minutes are my stresser, but I'm getting better about it now. That's why I shoot for 8. Even if we leave around 8:20 we usually get there by 8:40 which gives my kids plenty of time to get a drink, use the restroom, help set up chairs, or prepare the sacrament, before church starts at 9 a.m.
Today, I was amazed at how many cars there were in the parking lot. Apparently a few families had forgotten about the time change. I smiled because I've been there and done that one as well too, usually in the spring when it meant that we missed an hour.
My great husband was even kind enough to let me take a nap this afternoon to make up for my early-up time. So I can't complain about the time change this year too much. The extra hour did wonders for my kids. They all had a great day and even made it through church meetings awake. (This is rare for my boys) And as a parent, kids having great days makes it all worth it.

No comments: