Saturday, March 14, 2009

Spring Fever

My definition of Spring Fever isn’t a trip to some tropical location full of partying school kids. My definition of Spring Fever is me being so overcome by the Clutter Monster I decide to fight back.

clutter scream

I can only hope that somehow, maybe through divine intervention I can lay that monster to rest once and for all.

death of clutter

I have a new incentive.

‘Fawndear,’ I said to myself, ‘You can’t touch your laptop and go play with your blog friends until you get your room clean.’ Now doesn’t that sound like something a nice responsible mother would say. So everyday before I check my blog and blog friends I have to de-clutter one area (be it a room or teeny-tiny drawer).

But wait, it get’s better.

Since clutter breeds at an alarmingly rapid pace around these parts I also said to myself.

‘Fawndear.’

‘Yes, myself.’

‘Don’t you think it would be a good idea to tidy those beautiful, wonderfully clean, de-cluttered area’s before you sit down to your brain-sucking device?’

‘Well self, that would be the ideal now, wouldn’t it? However, that would make me Supermom and I don’t know if I can live up to that fairytale.

supermom

‘Self.’

‘Yes, Fawndear.’

‘You do know that being the Perfect Mom is a Myth – don’t you? Newsweek even said so.’

perfect mother myth

‘Yes.’

‘But every now and then you can give it the good old college try.’

‘What’s the good old college try?’

‘Don’t know, it just sounded like a good thing to say. You know mommy-wisdom. Sound profound even when you aren’t.’

So I decided to be Holly Homemaker for a couple of days this week. Donned my beautiful mommy apron and string of Mother’s Day beaded love that my little princess’s made me and I got to work.

3219

Ready for some more before/after stuff? Well you’re going to get it regardless. My front room before…

3175

And after…

3198

It was previously de-cluttered so it didn’t take me to long to tidy.

Next is the dreaded entryway. The place where you drop everything the moment you walk into the house.

3180

And after the magically happy mom cleans it. Hope can’t help but dance with glee (and secretly think that now there are wonderful new places to stash her toys).

3206

And for the last place I pretended to be perfect. The dreaded kitchen table. You know, the place your supposed to feed kids and what-not. I don’t think we’ve sat down to eat there in a week. Usually I just throw down their paper plates piled in food on the floor so they can lap it up like barn animals.

3210

Behold… I even threw in a tablecloth.

3212

Lasted all of one meal. But it was a beautiful meal. I guess I should get those hideous clear vinyl sheets to put over it so I just wipe up the spills.

And since our kitchen is forever in the remodel, redneck stage I knew I would just have to tackle the clutter monster as he resided on one of the couple of feet left of counter space that is still standing. I know that sentence didn’t make any sense but who cares? Not me, I’m on a clutter vanquishing quest.

3211

So the after is a bit better. But I know I still need to find a new home for Mr.. Quaker Oat’s man.

3214

And since we are in the kitchen and I’ve just uncovered a bit of counter space. Why not attempt an idea I saw in Family Fun Magazine.

3152

So I did, since it was Evo-man’s birthday this last week. Here’s my out-of-tune version of the above cake. Straight lines are so-overrated anyway.

3232

Hey, it’s better than my first attempt.

3161

Now I’m off to clean the girls room. Their wardrobe is in dire need of a make-over.

3255

Tune in next week for the adventures of Super-mom as she contemplates clearing out the cobweb infested alcove, and filling it with a magical fairy tree house.

3209

I just love Spring Fever. Hopefully I won’t recover from it anytime soon.

3193

6 comments:

Shannon said...

Oh! Good for you!! And what a wonderful cake!!! The colors that you chose are so much better than the ones in the magazine!! I'm sure your son was absoulutely thrilled! You are supermom!

Can I come over and enjoy the clean beautiousness? Because my house is a wreck right now!

fawndear said...

Shannon,

I bow at your feet because you are the Goddess of all cake decorating. Thanks for the positive comment on my sad attempt at cake decorating.

Come on over anytime.

One Gray Hair At A Time said...

I just wanted to say "Thanks" for keeping it real. So many times I feel like I must be the only one who has a messy home. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Although mine is much messier. lol

RavenM said...

Oh, the dreaded clutter monster!! I think we could use a couple of trips to the dump, about ten trips to good will, and a monster yard sale...

Nice cake:) I love trying (key word 'trying') to make fancy cakes for my kiddos birthdays. Until I am up to my elbows in (no refined sugar)icing and cursing under my breath. Why does sugar have to be so much easier to work with???

:-) Happy spring fever :-)

Unknown said...

Two things;
First, your fireplce is beautiful!!!

Second, are you for hire?

Suburban Correspondent said...

You go, girl!