Sunday, March 1, 2009

It’s March Already…

I’m still struggling with the concept of not putting 2008 down as a date and it’s March already.

Yes, we survived being unplugged for February.  Loved it as always and I’m not particularly happy that March is here ALREADY. 

Yesterday the two kids who have the hardest time getting along ended up spending two whole hours on the back deck playing with bubbles of all things.  No bubble wands necessary.  Just a wee bit of water and a lot of dish soap. 

2009 - winter 251 

Your fingers are the bubble wand.

2009 - winter 255

Usually I have to drag the kids to the sink to scrub up.  Now, I’m just going to have to remember to send them outside to make bubbles next time they need to clean up.

2009 - winter 260

We're also starting off National Craft Month (March Already) with a bang. 

Princess and I are involved in a Fairy/Wand Swap in a couple of days and we’ve been giddily crafting away all weekend.  Lea even wanted to help out.  In fact I think three or four kids ended putting in some time up helping out with the wands.

 2009 - winter 267

I know this is a sneak peak, won’t show you the finished treasures until our swap partners get them.  I ended up using some tools I probably haven’t used in 4 years and you know what?  It was kind of fun.

2009 - winter 268 

I’m also trying my first ever doll/fairy.  I was hoping to maybe make something out of material or wood but ended up going back to my clays.  I’m the most familiar with them and since I’ve never attempted anything like this before I thought I’d better stick with what I kind of know. 

Believe me she’s going to look a lot different when she’s done.

2920

Note to Self:  Next February when we do the whole unplugged thing all over again.  We are definitely going to add Audio Books to the banned list.  I think our family, and one 15 year old boy in particular, went through nearly 9-10 books that way.  And in his case he didn’t move off the couch while listening to them.  That seems a bit too plugged in for me.

I also think we are going to try and make weekdays unplugged days as well.  There was quite the grumble from the kids when we announced this tonight.  Probably because they put in a good 6-8 hours of TV time after church today.  I’m tempted to extend the whole TV unplugged thing until April.  UGH!  I am not looking forward to hearing them complain about it after school tomorrow.

Regardless,  February was great.  I love the whole unplugged thing even if it means I don’t have as much time because I’m helping the kids get an imagination.  Seriously why can’t the TV break instead of the kitchen.  That’s a Murphy visit I would welcome any day.

We are however going to try and crank out a load of fun, super inexpensive crafts this month, and I promise to share some of those ideas with you.  That and I’m going to be hopping around visiting all my favorite blogs.  I’ve missed you guys and that is one reason why I guess I’m glad it’s March Already.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Val (who hosted the baby shower) was telling me that her Godkids' mother didn't let them watch TV except on Family Movie Night for the first 5 years of their lives. It's something I'd like to aspire to, but I don't know if I have the energy for it.

Suburban Correspondent said...

So, does unplugged mean no Internet also? I don't think I could do it!

Can't wait to see the craft ideas! Also, the longer the kids are unplugged, the easier it gets for them to amuse themselves at least 50 percent of the time.

Natalia said...

Oh wow! Fun all around!

I think the unplugged thing is genious...although honestly, don't think we could pull it off in this house. My 16 year old would leave me, lol!

Fairies and wands...wish I was doing it, too! :)

Anonymous said...

that fairy head is AMAZING! (I'm a little jealous) thanks for the sneak peeks!
:) Missy

RavenM said...

Looks like fun:)