Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Ghosts of Halloween Past

So these two oddballs fell in love and started having kids. And by our second Halloween together we started the all-consuming, drive-everyone-bonkers, Halloween tradition of Family Themed Costumes.

After hours of watching Dances with Wolves we decided to go as Native Americans and won the costume contest for Prince Erik’s work.




Somehow, somewhere buried in my mountains of photographs are the years we dressed like ‘Aladdin’, ‘Indiana Jones’, the ‘Three Musketeers’, and our first go at ‘The Wizard of Oz’, and even two years ago, as my kids favorite, ‘Pirates of the Caribbean.’ P.E. was going to pull up that picture for me but the computer was being a bit spastic.

But I was able to find ‘Star Wars’.


Prince Erik made a couple of kids cry on the Elevator when he walked on. He had the Darth Vader Helmet with him but also let me do him up as the wheezing guy as well. Lea was the Perfect Princess Leah and even wore a wig with those famous croissant buns. And little Evo-man was perfect for Pint-sized for Pod-Race Driver of the Year Award.





Then there was the Scooby Do Gang along with our bus decorated like the Mystery Machine. This couldn't have been more perfect for the trunk-or-treat we went to.





Abner kindly consented to me dying his hair but my favorite was Princess as Velma. Can I brag that my wee ones are super good at wearing itchy wigs?



Probably in the top two of my all-time favorite years would have to be...

‘Peter Pan’.



Yep, you saw right. Prince Erik kindly agreed to let me torture him into wearing Tinkerbell's outfit. Hey Tink, where’d that belly come from?



There you have it - Blackmail, material for sure.

And Abner...


Once a Pirate...



Always a Pirate.

And I always love the year I did Lord of the Rings.


But I will never confess to how many times I watched the movie to try and figure out the costumes.

I'm still working on the Wizard of Oz boy costumes and I'm hoping they will be done in time to 'Trick or Treat' tomorrow.

So Stay Tuned...

4 comments:

Faith said...

What a great sport Prince Erik is for playing Tinkerbell! My husband is pretty goofy, but I don't think he would have gone for that!

Trena Doll said...

Wow, when you put all of those photos together, it's clear that a)you're a very talented costume creator, and b)your kids are all remarkably good sports.

Thanks for sharing. What a fun tradition!

Susanne said...

I love them all! You are so talented. Those are so well done that they could actually be the costumes for the movies!

RavenM said...

Those are awesome!!! You are so creative :)

I think my hubby might be one of those who could be talke into the tinkerbell outfit. He's been known to where a dress to a costume party just for the shock value. :)